Monday, 31 December 2012

Good-bye 2012


It's New Year's Eve - once a night for dressing up in sequins and stilettos, of partying and clubbing in a glitter-filled haze and getting ridiculously silly and drunkenly sentimental over good times had and days gone by and goals not met and what could have been - now a day spent lounging in jammies, playing with Christmas Lego sets and board games, building snowforts and going sledding and a night spent at home with noisemakers and nibblies and an attempted slick clock-time-change to convince the kids they've stayed up until midnight so my gorgeous husband and I can ring in the new year alone together.

It's also a time for reflection, and though in years past I often found myself mildly (sometimes more than mildly) dissatisfied with how my year had gone, the last few years have found me kind of annoyingly smugly satisfied as I reflect on my life and my year in review. I'm happier than I've ever been, and my life is pretty much perfect. I'm married to the most wonderful man in the world. I have three amazing, adorable little boys who bring me joy every moment of every day. We live in the warmest, coziest, homiest little home that we've worked so hard on and are so proud of. Our neighbourhood is the happiest place on earth and our lives are about as close to perfect as they can get. I have wonderful friends and family and 2012 has been pretty good to all of us.

2012 is also the first year in over a decade that I have not moved, gotten married, or had a baby. That's kind of ridiculous. What a lovely change it's been to have such an uneventful year!

As the clock counts down and the year draws to a close I want to share how grateful I am for all the wonderful people in my life and say thank-you for everything I've been blessed with. I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for us, our family and our friends - and I wish all of you the very happiest of new years!