Friday, 28 March 2014

Best-Ever Banana Bread

This best-ever banana bread is one of my favourite recipes for a sweet treat to bake with my boys. We make it at least once a month and usually finish it before it even cools.

Banana Bread, baking
The recipe is actually my best friend Melissa's - when I moved out of the London apartment we shared and back home to Toronto she gave me a cute little wooden box filled with a collection of hand-written recipe cards and some easy-to-follow recipes (I wasn't the greatest cook at twenty-one - cocktailing was more my thing). 

Although my culinary skills have progressed a lot over the last fourteen years (mostly after having kids - turns out children need to be fed) this banana bread recipe is still one of my faves - the card is faded and torn and has egg and butter stains all over it and I've added and altered and taken away from the recipe as baking has become sort of a specialty of mine, but it's delicious and simple and the whole family loves it.

Mixing banana bread batter, kids, baking

Banana Bread

4 mashed bananas
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 tbsp. melted butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Banana Bread, baking

Mash bananas in large bowl (overripe bananas are best). Add sugar and eggs; beat. Add melted butter. Mix soda and cinnamon with flour and add to mixture. Pour into baking pan and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon over top. Bake at 350F for 1 1/4 hours.




Nothing smells more homey and heavenly than the sweet cinnamon smell of baking banana bread.

Allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon and icing sugar. Delish!



You might also like...

Baking With My Boys

Fun at the Berry Farm

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! I'm so glad you're still making the banana bread! It's one of my all-time favourite recipes too! :)

    ReplyDelete