Monday, 17 August 2015

If I Were a Millionaire...

Even the most frugal of us has a wish list that has nothing to do with wants versus needs, budget or practicality. A wish list that has no basis in reality. "If I were a millionaire, I'd..." move to the west coast, winter in Greece, drive a Mercedes, put in a pool.

What's on your wish list?

I've been thinking about mine lately, thanks to some upcoming changes in my life.

This year's impending back-to-school season is a big one for me, because for the first time in many years back to school also means back to work - the youngest of my boys will be school-age and I will be returning to work outside the home in addition to my freelance gigs. Though I'll only be working part-time - being there for my kids before and after school is still my first priority - the addition of that part-time salary to the income we've become accustomed to living off of will make an enormous difference to our lives.

We're going to feel like millionaires.

(Important note: we won't be. Not even close. But we'll be a heck of a lot wealthier than we are right now!)

So we've been putting some thought into what we're going to do with that money. We've reworked our budget to give ourselves a little more for everyday expenses - food, clothing, sports and entertainment. The kids' RESP's are already maxed out but we'll start putting a bit more into RRSP's every month. For the first time in years, we'll finally be able to afford a second family car, and there will finally be enough extra money in the budget to tackle our home decor wish list.

We wrote down all our wish list items, both big (like all new kitchen cabinets, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances) and small (like a new bistro table for the living room.) We added those extra luxuries that were always in the "maybe one day..." corners of our minds like extra vacations and putting in a hot tub or a small pool. We wrote down literally everything we want, everything we wish for, everything we'd like but don't need and certainly never necessarily expected to have - and it turns out our wish list is not so unrealistic after all. We won't need to be millionaires to make our wish list reality.

What about you? What's on your wish list? You might be surprised at just how attainable it is!

Originally published as "If I Were A Millionaire" on my weekly column at gailvazoxlade.com


You might also like...

No comments:

Post a Comment