Friday, 28 August 2015

Ikea Dreaming

It's that time of year.

We've been waiting for it all year.

We've been looking forward to it with the giddy anticipation of kids on Christmas morning.

Summer vacation?

Back-to-school?

No; it's Ikea catalogue season!

I don't know if it's because we've never been in a position to buy everything we want for the house - we were always either too poor or there were too many other more important demands on our wallets: new homes or new babies, new flooring or a new deck, car repairs, an electrical emergency, sports fees, family vacations - or if it's some sort of throwback to childhood Sears Christmas "Wish Book" fantasizing, or if it's just because it's the best actual printed paper-and-ink catalogue with actual pages to actually flip through, but I've never gotten over the excitement of the annual arrival of the Ikea catalogue in my mailbox.

I looooove the Ikea catalogue.

I love flipping through the glossy pages of room ideas and folding over those ones that appeal to me for one reason or another - a pretty armchair, a comfy-looking couch, creative furniture placement or a clever storage solution.

I love poring over the product pages looking for this or that perfect little treasure or genius space-saving idea.

I love making my wish list for the next twelve months - my "if there's a little bit extra I'd love..." list.

And the best thing about fantasizing about Ikea furnishings (aside from the fact that they're almost all designed for small space living - an important consideration for a family of five living in a tiny townhome) is that they are actually affordable. An Ikea wish list doesn't have to be fantasy - it can actually be reality.


You might also like...

No comments:

Post a Comment