Friday, 21 August 2015

Little Things

It's amazing, sometimes, how much pleasure the little things can bring.

The best things in life are free - or priceless, depending on how you look at it. Health, happiness, family, friends, time together, memories. You can't attach a cost or value to these things.

But even for those things that do come with a price - things that you can buy in a store, things that are most definitely tangible things - it's surprising how much pleasure those little things can bring.
Some of my favourite little things?

Just the right coffee mug - the right shape, the right size, the right weight when I wrap my hands around it. Nothing makes a morning coffee better than the perfect mug to sip it from.

Potted plants. Coloured glass.
Fuzzy slippers. Freshly cleaned sheets.
Kitschy Christmas decorations.
A perfect-fitting pair of jeans. (Is there anything that makes you feel quite so good as knowing that you look good?)

And the little thing that prompted this post?

The brand-new notebook I'm writing in. That's right - a notebook. I'm an old school sort of writer - almost everything I write is drafted in pencil on paper. And as I sit here curled up in my comfy armchair in the sunniest corner of the kitchen sipping coffee from my favourite mug I'm filled with pleasure by the brand-new book full of crisp, clean blank pages just begging to be filled with words.

What are some of your favourite little things?


You might also like...

No comments:

Post a Comment